Thursday, April 14, 2011

DK Challenge: Edible Bowls

THE DARING COOKS APRIL CHALLENGE

Renata of Testado, Provado & Aprovado! was our Daring Cooks’ April 2011 hostess. Renata challenged us to think “outside the plate” and create our own edible containers! Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 17th to May 16th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!

What a fun challenge this was! And I've found more examples all month long of other things in edible bowls, and I've put them on the bottom of this post.

SPAGHETTI SQUASH SOUP 

SS Soup in the SS shell bowl, lined with the SS strings
Here is the soup recipe I used:

1/2 spaghetti squash baked in an oven
Butter or olive oil
1 large chopped onion
4 minced garlic cloves
1 tablespoon of minced ginger
1 teaspoon of curry powder
6 cups of either vegetable or chicken stock
Salt and ground pepper

Bake the spaghetti squash in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees F for almost 40 minutes and scoop it out once it has cooled.

In a sauce pan add some butter or olive oil on medium flame and add the onions. Cook the onions till they soften, then add the ginger, garlic, and curry powder. Stir it for about 2 minutes.

Puree the squash in a blender and add it to the sauce pan along with the vegetable or chicken stock. Stir it continuously for about 10 minutes.

Season the soup with salt and ground pepper, serve it with some grated spaghetti squash.

OTHER EDIBLE BOWLS

Tuna in Celery Boats

10 comments:

Audax said...

I love the celery boats so cute, and the spaghetti squash bowl is superb lovely photos. I like the soup that you did for the spaghetti howl. Great work on this challenge.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Don't Make Me Call My Flying Monkeys! said...

I love spagetti squash and your soup looks so good! Beautiful.

Rochelle (Acquired Life) said...

I have to give this soup a try! We love soup here so I'm sure it'll be devoured. The celery boats would be so fun to make with the kiddo too :)

Robyn Clarke said...

Your post has inspired me to plant some spaghetti squash. I hope to be trying your recipe out with my home grown spaghetti squash one day soon. Thanks

UpperBottom said...

Wow!!!!!!! I'm blown away! Both of these dishes look incredible. Thanks!

Hi! I'm Rachel, by the way! Visiting from the UBP (a little late... so many blogs!). Hope you'll come visit me at www.upperbottom.com and @upperbottom (Twitter).

Cheers and happy spring!

FamilySpice said...

Nice job on the spaghetti squash bowl! I love how it turned out!

Nezumi said...

Spagetti squash bowl and soup look very good

Renata said...

I absolutely loved what you did with the SS! It looks so cute! And your celery boats are making me drool right now! Thanks for participating!

Lisa said...

Spaghetti squash as a soup bowl is brilliant! It looks fantastic! Nicely done!

Libby@CookingWithLibby said...

This looks great :) Thanks for sharing ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...