Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cranberry and Apple Cake

I saw Barefoot Contessa make this on the Today Show a week back, and I knew I had to make it. And it was fabulous. Its defiantly on my "to make" list for Thanksgiving!

This recipe is taken directly from Barefoot Contessa, but the images are my own.
CRANBERRY AND APPLE CAKE


  • 12 ounces fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over for stems
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (2 oranges)
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 1 1/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
  • 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine the cranberries, apple, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs on medium-high speed for 2 minutes. With the mixer on medium, add 1 cup of the granulated sugar, the butter, vanilla, and sour cream and beat just until combined. On low speed, slowly add the flour and salt.
Pour the fruit mixture evenly into a 10-inch glass pie plate. Pour the batter over the fruit, covering it completely. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon and sprinkle it over the batter. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and the fruit is bubbling around the edges. Serve warm or at room temperature.
[I discovered, since I used a deeper dish than recipe called for, that it needed more time--it was a bit dough-y in the middle. So increase your cooking time to 1-1/2 hours if you choose to cook in a similar dish]

4 comments:

The Better Baker said...

Oh Yippee! I get to be the first comment! =) This looks awesome...makes me want to run to the kitchen and make it today, except I need more apples. I've made a cranberry/apple cobbler that is similar and I love it. Wiping the drool from the screen...just gotta LOVE fall dishes! Thanks -

Unknown said...

Love your blog. I’m following you. Hope you’ll pop over to mine.

cindy
treasuresinmyheart.blogspot.com

Verena said...

The cake looks so delicious!
Thanks for sharing!
Verena

kewkew said...

Sounds and looks delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...